Always wanted to live in the apartment from Friends? Lusted after the LA mansion that the Fresh Prince grew up in? Fancy living like a Hobbit in Bag End? Find out if you could afford them with new research from Which? Mortgage Advisers.
Which? Mortgage Advisers has calculated the cost of 10 of the most famous fictional homes and how much you’d need to save for a 10% deposit to secure your dream home.
David Blake of Which? Mortgage Advisers said:
“Whether you’re moving home or looking to take your first step on to the property ladder, it is important you can separate the facts from the fiction and know just how much you should be paying and need to budget for. Seeking independent advice from a reputable mortgage adviser can also help you to get the best possible mortgage deal.”
Five of the 10 are revealed here, to check out the full list, visit:
1) Harry Potter – 4 Privet Drive, Little Whinging, Surrey, UK – £475,000
4-bed semi-detached family home located in a vibrant area with excellent schools. A real character house with rich history, the sellers have owned the house since 1977 and are looking for a quick sale.
A 10% deposit would set you back £47,500
2) FRIENDS – Apt. 20. 495 Grove Street, New York City, USA – £3.08 million ($4 million)
Open plan two-bed apartment in sought after Greenwich Village is available immediately. Private exterior balcony and roof access with stunning Manhattan views would make a great investment or suit young professionals now.
A 10% deposit would set you back £308,000 or $400,000
3) The Simpsons – 742 Evergreen Terrace, Springfield, USA – £150,000 ($195,000)
A two-story, detached, suburban tract house with an attached garage, basement and loft. Large bay windows feature in spacious sitting and dining rooms, with an ample 4 bedrooms including ensuite to the master. Friendly neighbours.
A 10% deposit would set you back £15,000 or $19,500
4) The Hobbit – Bag End, Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth – Gold coin offers welcome
Cosy hobbit burrow in an excellent location north of Hobbiton. Built circa l.a. 2885, this family home has been meticulously maintained with high-quality fixtures, fittings and furniture (all included in sale). Viewings highly recommended.
5) The Fresh Prince of Bel Air – Bel Air, Los Angeles, California, USA – £15.4 million ($20 million)
Situated in the heart of affluent Bel Air, this 5 bed, 5 bath, 6400 sq. ft. home is available now with no onward chain. Invest in a near 1-acre estate with pool, garage and 17 rooms in total, featuring unique and clean Greek Revival architectural lines.
A 10% deposit would set you back £1.54 million or $2 million
Disclaimer: We have not viewed the properties in question nor have we consulted a property expert in calculating our estimated sale price. Not all the houses exist in real life and the fictional homes are purely for entertainment purposes only. We have estimated house prices based on a number of factors, There are several things that may impact on our estimations (property improvements for instance)
Notes to Editors
- Which? Mortgage Advisers calculated the cost of fictional homes by looking at previous estimates of their worth, then working out their current possible worth taking into account the growth in property prices. For the properties that do exist, they used property listings site to estimate value, based on similar properties in the area.
- Dollar – British Pound exchange rates correct as at 21st September 2016
- Which? Mortgage Advisers is one of Which?’s commercial services. When an important market fails to deliver value for customers, we develop products and services that put customers’ needs first. Which? Mortgage Advisers provides truly independent, whole-of-market mortgage advice. You can find out more by visiting: https://mortgageadvisers.which.co.uk