The latest Which? taste test reveals that some supermarket own brand drinks have come out top in our tests, beating some of the popular brands.
Our drinks experts tested 12 gins and 10 crisp dry white wines from supermarket own label products and popular brands and found:
- Morrisons’ London Dry Gin (10.49) came top of our gin taste test with a score of 80%. Our experts found the gin to be ‘well-rounded’ and ‘refreshing’.
- Lidl’s Castelgy London Dry Gin was the joint cheapest costing £9.99 and came second in our test with a score of 78%.
- Greenalls’ London Dry Gin (£15) was the top scoring branded gin but was ranked fourth overall in our taste test, with a score of 77%. Gordon’s Special Dry London Gin was one of the most expensive brands in our test, costing £16 but was ranked ninth with a score of 74%.
- Asda’s Extra Special Leyda Valley Chilean Sauvignon Blanc was the top-scoring white wine with a score of 79% and also the cheapest costing £5.75. It was described by our experts as ‘very fruity with a lemony finish’ and being ‘a very appealing summer drink’.
- Despite being the top scoring branded white wine with a 66% score, Cono Sur Bicicleta Sauvignon Blanc 2014 was ranked ninth overall in our taste test.
Which? editor, Richard Headland, said:
“Once again our taste tests have shown that supermarket own labels are giving the big brands a real run for their money. Some inexpensive bottles received a much higher score from our experts, proving you don’t always need to splash out.”
Notes to editors
- Gin taste test results
|Score||Price for 70cl bottle|
|1.||Morrisons London Dry Gin||80%||£10.49|
|2.||Lidl Castelgy London Dry Gin||78%||£9.99|
|3.||Waitrose London Dry Gin||78%||£12|
|4.||Greenalls London Dry Gin||77%||£15|
|5.||Beefeater Dry Gin||76%||£16|
|6.||Asda London Dry Gin||75%||£11|
|7.||Sainsbury’s London Dry Gin||74%||£11.50|
|8.||Aldi Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin||74%||£9.99|
|9.||Gordon’s Special Dry London Gin||74%||£16|
|10.||The Cooperative London Dry Gin||73%||£11.99|
|11.||Marks & Spencer London Dry Gin||72%||£15|
|12.||Tesco London Dry Gin||71%||£11.50|
- Crisp dry white wine taste test
|Score||Price per bottle|
|1.||Asda Extra Special Leyda Valley Chilean Sauvignon Blanc||79%||£5.75|
|2.||Lidl Cimarosa Sauvignon Blanc 2014||78%||£5.89|
|3.||Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Albarino 2013||74%||£8|
|4.||Waitrose Grüner Veltliner Niederösterreich 2014||73%||£7.99|
|5.||The Co-operative TrulyIrresistible Leyda Valley Sauvignon Blanc 2014||71%||£6.99|
|6.||M&S Picpoul de Pinet 2014||69%||£8.50|
|7.||Aldi The Exquisite Collection Clare Valley Riesling 2014||67%||£6.99|
|8.||Morrisons M Signature Vermentino di Sardegna 2014||67%||£5.99|
|9.||Cono Sur Bicicleta Sauvignon Blanc 2014||66%||£6.99|
|10.||Oxford Landing Sauvignon Blanc 2014||62%||£7.99|
3. Which? taste test results can be found on www.which.co.uk/drink