Small renewable energy provider Octopus Energy has beaten its rivals to be named ‘Which? Utilities Brand of the Year’ in the Which? Awards 2019, an annual event that recognises the top brands of the year.
The relative newcomer (launched in 2016) was the only energy firm to achieve top ratings across all categories in the latest Which? customer survey of energy providers. It also became the only Which? Recommended Provider for energy in 2018 and again in 2019.
Hosted by the BBC’s Steph McGovern and Which? Chief Executive, Anabel Hoult, the Which? Awards recognise brands that deliver both exemplary products and excellent customer service across 12 categories.
Nationwide Building Society continued to dominate the ‘Which? Banking Brand of the Year’ category winning the award for the third year in a row.
Samsung was the only company to take home two prizes, securing ‘Which? Technology Brand of the Year’ and ‘Which? Sound and Vision Brand of the Year’. Samsung was praised for its broad product range and significant number of Which? Best Buys as well as its value for money proposition.
Richer Sounds secured ‘Which? Retailer of the Year’ for a second year in a row. The company is a Which? Recommended Provider that offers particularly good value for money. This award also comes after owner Julian Richer recently announced that control of the company will be handed over to the staff.
Trailfinders secured top spot in the journey to find the ‘Which? Travel Brand of the Year’, cruising to victory for its highly rated customer service and the quality of advice provided.
Lexus impressed the judges with the outstanding reliability and safety of its cars. The company drove off with the ‘Which? Car Brand of the Year’ for the first time.
Across the other categories, LV= secured ‘Which? Insurance Provider of the Year’, Miele won ‘Which? Large Home Appliance Brand of the Year’ and Kenwood took home ‘Which? Small Home Appliance Brand of the Year’.
In the new ‘Your Consumer Champion’ award, Natalie Ledward, Vulnerable Customer Specialist at Monzo, won for her work to create a gambling block to protect customers. Natalie listened to consumers and took the initiative to develop a completely new concept to help some of the bank’s most vulnerable customers.
Anabel Hoult, Which? Chief Executive, said:
“The Which? Awards are here to help people make better choices by shining a light on those businesses that are putting consumers first.
“This year’s winners demonstrate exactly what it means to be recommended by Which? – putting people at the heart of what they do.”
- Which? Banking Brand of the Year 2019: Nationwide Building Society (shortlisted: First Direct, Monzo)
- Which? Insurance Provider of the Year 2019: LV= (shortlisted: John Lewis Financial Services, M&S Bank, NFU Mutual)
- Which? Travel Brand of the Year 2019: Trailfinders (shortlisted: Jet2, Premier Inn, Viking Cruises)
- Which? Utilities Brand of the Year 2019: Octopus Energy (shortlisted: giffgaff, Plusnet, Utility Warehouse, Zen Internet)
- Which? Retailer of the Year 2019: Richer Sounds (shortlisted: John Lewis, Liz Earle, Ocado, Rohan)
- Which? Technology Brand of the Year 2019: Samsung (shortlisted: Apple, Brother, Lenovo)
- Which? Large Home Appliance Brand of the Year 2019: Miele (shortlisted: Bosch, Dyson, Samsung, Siemens)
- Which? Small Home Appliance Brand of the Year 2019: Kenwood (shortlisted: Bosch, De’Longhi, Sage Appliances)
- Which? Car Brand of the Year 2019: Lexus (shortlisted: Hyundai, Mazda, Toyota)
- Which? Sound & Vision Brand of the Year 2019: Samsung (shortlisted: LG, Polk Audio, VQ)
- Which? Trusted Trader of the Year 2019: Furlonger Tree Services (shortlisted: Inspiration Computers, Tincknell Heating, Splash of Colour)
- Which? ‘Your Consumer Champion’ award 2019: Natalie Ledward, Vulnerable Customer Specialist at Monzo
- The Which? Awards took place at a ceremony in London on Thursday 20th June.
- The Which? Awards recognises businesses that have achieved positive change for consumers and deliver excellent products and services that score highly in our research and testing.
- Which? celebrates good businesses in every sector from retailers and banks to home appliances and local businesses.
- Please use the hashtag #WhichAwards2019 on social media.
Press Release: Anabel Hoult, Furlonger Tree Services, Kenwood, Lexus, LV=, Miele, Monzo, Natalie Ledward, Nationwide, Octopus Energy, Richer Sounds, Samsung, Trailfinders, Which? Awards, Your Consumer Champion