The annual Which? festive taste tests have revealed the must-have mince pies and Champagne for your shopping list this Christmas.
We tested 14 traditional-recipe luxury mince pies and pitted five bestselling Champagne brands against the supermarkets’ own-brand or exclusive non-vintage Champagne priced at less than £35.
Our teams of bakery and wine experts rated each product in a number of categories after blind tasting and then combined their marks to give an overall percentage. We found:
- Harrods’ Classic Mince Pies With Brandy (£8.95 for six) came top of the mince pie pile with a score of 72%.
- Lidl’s Snowy Lodge Mince Pies (£1.15 for six) came in second place with an overall score of 67%. Our judges commended the pies for their ‘beautifully crisp’ pastry.
- In joint second place were Waitrose Shortcrust Mince Pies (£1.70 for six) also scoring 67% and hailed by our experts for their handmade appearance and generous helping of mincemeat.
- The Co-operative Les Pionniers NV Champagne (£16.99) was labelled the best Champagne on offer this Christmas scoring 85% and impressing our judges with its rich, complex flavour.
- Lanson Black Label Brut Champagne (£30) was the highest ranked bestselling Champagne brand, coming in third with a score of 81%.
Which? editor, Richard Headland said:
“Our taste test has once again revealed that supermarket own-label products can more than match the big brands. Our experts rated many affordable products highly which shows that good quality products aren’t always the most expensive.”
Notes to editors:
- Mince pie taste test results:
|Score||Price for six mince pies|
|1.||Harrods Classic Mince Pies With Brandy||72%||£8.95|
|2.||Lidl Snowy Lodge Luxury Mince Pies||67%||£1.15|
|3.||Waitrose Deep Filled Shortcrust Mince Pies||67%||£1.70|
|4.||Asda Extra Special Luxury Mince Pies||66%||£1.89|
|5.||Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference All Butter Mince Pies||64%||£2.50|
|6.||Spar 6 Luxury Mince Pies||62%||£2|
|7.||Iceland Luxury 6 Mince Pies||61%||£1.49|
|8.||Morrisons M Signature All Butter Deep Filled Mince Pies||61%||£1.74|
|9.||The Co-operative Truly Irresistible Mice Pies||59%||£2|
|10.||M&S Star Mince Pies||59%||£2.50|
|11.||Fortnum & Mason Six Traditional Mince Pies||58%||£13.95|
|12.||Gregg’s Sweet Mince Pies||58%||£1.50|
|13.||Aldi Specially Selected Mince Pies||54%||£1.15|
|14.||Tesco Finest Mince Pies||51%||£2|
|Score||Price per bottle of NV champagne|
|1.||The Co-operative Les Pionniers NV Champagne||85%||£16.99|
|2.||Waitrose Blanc de Blancs Brut NV||83%||£24.99|
|3.||Lanson Black Label Brut Champagne||81%||£30|
|4.||Laurent-Perrier Brut Champagne||79%||£38|
|5.||Tesco Finest Premier Cru Champagne||78%||£18|
|6.||Lidl Bissinger & Co Premier Cru Champage||77%||£15.99|
|7.||Sainsbury’s Blanc de Noirs Brut Champagne||76%||£20|
|8.||Piper-Heidsieck Brut Champagne||76%||£30|
|9.||Asda Extra Special Louis Bernard Premier Cru Champagne NV||75%||£19.75|
|10.||Moet & Chandon Brut Imperial Champagne||74%||£33|
|11.||Morrisons M Signature Champagne Brut||74%||£19|
|12.||M&S Herbert Beaufort Grand Cru Champagne||73%||£33|
|13.||Veuve Clicquot Yellow Label Ponsardin Champagne||70%||£31|
|14.||Aldi Veuve Monsigny Brut||69%||£10.99|
|15||Iceland Charles Montaine||59%||£10|
All champagnes tested were Non-Vintage. Prices don’t include any special offers and were checked as we went to press.