Two thirds likely to worry about home security this winter
New research from Which? Trusted Traders reveals that more than two thirds (70%) of people are likely to worry about security as the nights draw in for winter when the clocks go back this weekend.
Which? Trusted Traders found that a quarter (26%) of us are more likely to leave an inside light on so it looks like someone is home when the nights get darker, with 1 in 7 more likely to set timer switches on lamps before going out. However, just 1 in 10 of those surveyed will be more likely to use outside lights to deter burglars.
Raj Kakar-Clayton, Which? Trusted Trader said:
“As the days get shorter and the nights draw in, it is important that you feel safe in your home. Outdoor lights are a good way to ensure a burglar is more visible, which may help to put them off. Make sure your lighting is installed by an experienced electrician who can plan where it will be most effective outside your home.”
Home security advice from Which? Trusted Traders:
- Ask yourself if it is obvious when you are on holiday or away from home. If it is then make small changes such as leaving a car in an obvious place. Timers can be used to turn lights on and off around the home, as well as TVs and/or radios, cost as little as £5.
- For further security install a burglar alarm, motion sensors and CCTV cameras.
- Make sure that your burglar alarm is visible from outside your house. You can also get fake burglar alarm boxes if you can’t afford to get a full alarm system fitted.
- Which? Trusted Traders can assist with the installation of security lighting and numerous other home security devices.
- Find out more about how to secure your home here
Notes to Editor
- Which? Trusted Traders surveyed 2100 members of the UK public
- Which? Trusted Traders is an endorsement scheme from Which?, the largest independent consumer organisation in the UK. Local traders are assessed (which includes financial checks and face to face interviews) and checked by Which? trading standards professionals before being endorsed. The service helps all consumers, not just our members, find local trustworthy traders. Consumers can go online to access the database of endorsed traders by visiting: http://trustedtrader